Health Tips: Chia seeds are getting more and more popular for not only their taste but also their magical properties for many health issues. Consumed in a variety of ways, chia seeds are tasty and are a huge source of vitamins and other nutrients. Along with this, they have myriads of health benefits that can be a saviour if added to your diet.
What are chia seeds?
Chia seeds are small gelatinous seeds that are fruits of a plant called, Salvia hispanica. Moreover, this is generally produced in hot regions of the world such as Australia, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Argentina and so on. Although it has many benefits for the body, it can also be deemed harmful if not consumed in the right way.
How to consume chia seeds?
There are many ways to consume Chia seeds. However, one should be careful while making recipes with them. They must be soaked in a liquid like warm or lukewarm water or with semi-liquid food like oats or yoghurt. After being put in liquid for some time, these swell up, making them safe to eat.
Health Benefits of Chia seeds
- Chia seeds boost your body’s immunity because it is rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids present in chia seeds also help with your mood. Therefore, it is especially good for someone who is going through mental health issues such as depression.
- Chia seeds also aid with strong bone health. This also contains nutrients like calcium which helps with bone and teeth strength. Apart from this, it also contains magnesium and phosphorus which also contribute to strong bones.
- It is also a rich source of protein. For someone who has a vegan or vegetarian diet where protein intake is on the lower side, chia seeds are a good option to be included in your daily diet.
- It also maintains heart health as it is low in cholesterol and reduces the bad cholesterol in the blood. Therefore, it also regulates blood insulin level
Chia seeds should never be consumed on their own. As it grows in moisture, it absorbs all the water from your digestive system causing serious issues. Apart from this, soaked chia seeds are generally safe, unless consumed in large quantities, which could lead to stomach problems. When faced with any form of discomfort after consuming, it is advised to seek medical help instantly.
Disclaimer – This material, including advice, provides general information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Take the methods, and claims mentioned in this article as suggestions only; DNP India does not confirm or refute them. Consult a doctor before implementing any such suggestions/ treatment/medicine/diet.